Welcome To My Blog!

Welcome! If this is your first visit here, you might want to begin by learning a little more about My
Story
and my House Rules. If you're looking for some new reads, I highly recommend these.

February 15, 2013

I Finally Get It, Mom (Prayer, that is)

By the time I got to one of the lowest (probably THE lowest) times in my life, I had all but abandoned the habit of praying. The only prayer I said regularly was "God, please keep us safe," most times I got behind the wheel. But that was pretty much it. We had stopped even trying to go to church when my youngest was only a few months old, and when, almost four years later, I grasped at this old habit when my heart was breaking- I just couldn't appreciate the experience at all. But my mother had always said to me "Pray about it, Jen. Just pray about it, and God will answer your prayers." When she had said it before, I listened politely, and then just let it slide out the other ear. "Whatever, Mom," was my usual thought- I'm embarrassed to admit that now...However, in my darkest time, in my depths of despair I took her words to heart. I borrowed a book of prayers from my mother (one that I had merely skimmed through and abandoned only months before) called Illuminata, by Marianne Williamson, and started to read in earnest.  I started to pray in my home, while outside, or in the car- out loud or to myself, alone and/or with my children, and amazingly, within a shorter time than I even dreamed possible, my prayers were actually answered.

While I'm still not really a religious person, I definitely try to develop my spiritual side much more. Instead of focusing on what is wrong, I try to be grateful for what is right, what I have. I never hesitate to say a prayer for guidance or help. I always try to give up difficult decisions to God/The Universe's hands- thy will be done, I say. Prayer gives me hope and stills my sometimes thunderous heart. I know that goodness is out there, and is there for the asking. But you have to ask, you cannot keep it to yourself...

These are two of the most important prayers from Illuminata that helped heal me, and continue to do so. One is for before I sleep at night and the other is for when I awake in the morning. I encourage you to try them, they might change your life.

EVENING PRAYER

Dear God,

Thank You for this day.

Thank You for my safety and the safety of my loved ones.

As I enter sleep, may these hours give me peace.

May they bring healing to my mind and body.

While I sleep, dear Lord, please bless the world.

Where there is pain, where there are people who have no place to sleep, who suffer and who die, may Your angels come unto them and minister to their hearts.

Dear Lord,

Please let the light stream in.

Please use my hours of sleep.

Please prepare me, during these hours of rest, for greater service to You.

May the light that surrounds me, tomorrow shine through me.

Soften my heart.

Thank You, Lord.

Amen

 

MORNING PRAYER

Dear God,

I give this day to You.

May my mind stay centered on the things of spirit.

May I not be tempted to stray from love.

As I begin this day, I open to receive You.

Please enter where You already abide.

May my mind and heart be pure and true, and may I not deviate from the things of goodness.

May I see the love and innocence in all mankind, behind the masks we all wear and the illusions of this worldly plane.

I surrender to You my doings this day.

I ask only that they serve You and the healing of the world.

May I bring Your love and goodness with me, to give unto others wherever I go.

Make me the person You would have me be.

Direct my footsteps, and show me what You would have me do.

Make the world a safer, more beautiful place.

Bless all Your creatures.

Heal us all, and use me, dear Lord, that I might know the joy of being used by You.

Amen.
If you would like to get Illuminata  for yourself, feel free to click here, or check out my Books to Inspire tab for other inspirational/interesting reads:






No comments:

Post a Comment