Welcome To My Blog!

Welcome! If this is your first visit here, you might want to begin by learning a little more about My
Story
and my House Rules. If you're looking for some new reads, I highly recommend these.

February 25, 2013

I Didn't Know You Could Do That!

Happy Monday! Did your kids drive you crazy trying to get out the door this morning? No, really? Yeah, mine neither...not.

For today's post I'm sharing some helpful household hints that I've gathered from various sources, hope you can benefit from them:

1. How to get those lingering garlic and onion cooking smells off your hands:
Your leftover-from-the-holidays Bath & Body Works Candy Cane Bliss hand soap isn't even going to the trick but what will is if you rub your soap-laden hands along the length of your stainless-steel faucet tap before you rinse. Now, I once fell for a marketing ploy and bought a soap-shaped piece of steel just for this purpose, but when I lost it in one of my family's various moves (we are a mobile Army family) my mom suggested this idea and, what do you know? It's free, and it works.

2. You can replace your baggie clips with cheap, old rubber bands:
I loved baggie clips but when one breaks, on its own or purposely taken apart by your curious four-year-old, you have to buy new ones. I tried to buy the cheap ones you can find in the dollar store, but those break in an instant. I know that extra clothespins can easily double for this purpose, but I haven't had the luxury of hanging my clothes out to dry...ever, so I don't have any of those lying around. What I do seem to find around the house all the time are rubber bands. You can stretch those babies around most chip/cookie/cracker/salad (you know I had to throw something healthy in that mix for good measure) bags, and you're good to go. Plus, you don't feel bad if they break because you can get them super cheap (I saw a box of 425 for $1.98) or for free, like from a bunch of yummy asparagus (well, I think it's yummy but I'm still trying to convince the kids.)

3. Heat up leftover pizza in a skillet/frying pan:
If it were just me eating, I would scarf up that pizza straight out of the fridge. I love cold pizza, BUT the rest of the family does not. So, take those slices of pizza and heat them up in your frying pan on medium heat. The crust will get a little crisped up again, and the cheese will get melty. Mmmm...pizza.

4. Empty food containers are great organizing tools:
Maybe you've already seen a crafty example of using a purposefully cut cereal box into a magazine file but did you know you can also use it to rally your boxes of sandwich and freezer bags, plastic wrap and foil together? I did this at home, and you can, too. Find out how to make by clicking right here.

Also, if you need a canister for holding onto your cooking utensils, may I suggest using an empty oatmeal box? You can get super crafty and decorate it with Mod Podge and pretty paper, if you like.

5. Simple Shower/Tub Cleaner Idea:
Does anyone else hate scrubbing out the bathtub? I know I do. But this method I saw at Joyful Homemaking sounds pretty easy and doable. All you need is vinegar, (Dawn) dish soap and a soap-dispensing dish-washing wand, and you can do it while you're already in the shower. I'm trying this out ASAP.


No comments:

Post a Comment