Welcome To My Blog!

Welcome! If this is your first visit here, you might want to begin by learning a little more about My
Story
and my House Rules. If you're looking for some new reads, I highly recommend these.

February 20, 2013

A Messy Choice- Would You Rather Be Clean or Green?

I try to do my best to teach my kids how to better take care of our planet. We recycle. We reuse scrap paper for art projects and homework. I've been using a distilled vinegar and water solution as an all-purpose cleaner for at least three years now (although just this year I broke down and bought a prettily scented bottle of Method All-Purpose cleaner just for the dining table because I had just had enough of the vinegar everywhere smell- even though it does dissipate eventually). I use a Pur Water filter instead of stocking our fridge with BPA-infused plastic water bottles. I buy non-toxic, earth friendly versions of glass cleaner, shower spray and anti-bacterial bathroom spray. I also re-purpose various bought food containers for storage around the house. However,  here's my BIG BUT...

BUT I also buy tons of paper towels (the recycled kind, usually!). I love my Clorox Toilet Wands with the disposable foam heads (I always hated that disgusting toilet brush soaking in that nasty toilet water all the time...). I also sometimes have to bust out the bleach based cleansers for tough messes. And, of course, there is my all time favorite- the Swiffer. Oh, Swiffer how I love thee! I just have the original green, telescopic-handled workhorse. I have a bulk box of the dry dusting cloths and a bulk box of the wet mop cloths. I use them all the time, and not just on the floor. I take the individual cloths dust my furniture (or my six-year-old does- even better!). I wipe down the outside of the doors of my kitchen cabinets with the wet ones. And then I throw each un-environmentally-friendly, un-biodegradable miracle worker in the trash. And I feel guilty BUT my house is cleaner than it was, it made something that I would have put off much easier, and that is worth it for me.



We all make choices in our lives. One of mine is do I want to be clean or green. The answer for me is both, most of the time. But sometimes, when the choice is to use a product that's not green or put off cleaning a mess because I just don't have the convenient tools I need, I'm picking the convenient product almost every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment